Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Good Reads

I just been scanning my goodreads page. Goodreads is a place for book lovers to share ideas and communicate with fellows and writers. And of course to organize your reading habits in various ways. There's something like 100 books a year challenge and reading groups. As I was reading the books I rated 5 stars and 4 stars, I find it surprising that many of these books, I did not even remember one bit of story.

The reason I think is the recall factor. Sometimes there has to be compelling scenes. Sometimes there has to be a compelling opening scene. Sometimes the technique is while reading, try to put real life people into it to make it a moving picture. Like I am a fan of Jack Reacher before it hit the cinemas. Reacher is 6'5" and has the bossy character that I pictured him as Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Sometimes when its boring to read, the film adaptation makes it easier for you to absorb cause you just sit and watch. I read a lot of hype in A Song of Ice and Fire but I cannot get to read the books. I watched it on HBO and from the prologue, I am hooked. I watched the whole season. I can't wait for Season Two that I devoured the next books.

Now if you ask me what books should be made into film or serialized on television? Firstly, I want a movie to depict Sherlock Holmes married to Irene Adler. Come on guys, love stories are world breakers in movie box office because people are suckers for love stories. Ask James Cameron and his love formula. Believe me, Holmes' creator Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would have been happy to see this.

Actually you can follow the Holmes and Adler love story (aka Doyle and his wife) in A Scandal in Bohemia, The Adventure of the Sussex Vampire and The Problem of Thor Bridge. Most probably there are others I haven't checked yet.



And as far as I am concerned, the Quidditch game in Harry Potter would be more exciting if the rules are changed to catching the Snitch first then flying through the ring with it to score a goal. The enemies of course can tackle the holder. The game ends when the holder scores a goal while holding the Snitch.

No love for black people writers?


                                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment