Thursday, August 6, 2015

New City

Galatians 2
1 Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus with me also. 2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain. 3 But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised: 4 And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage: 5 To whom we gave place by subjection, no, not for an hour; that the truth of the gospel might continue with you. 6 But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: 7 But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter; 8 (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) 9 And when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hands of fellowship; that we should go unto the heathen, and they unto the circumcision.
Acts 11
1 And the apostles and brethren that were in Judaea heard that the Gentiles had also received the word of God. 2 And when Peter was come up to Jerusalem, they that were of the circumcision contended with him,3 Saying, Thou wentest in to men uncircumcised, and didst eat with them. 4 But Peter rehearsed the matterfrom the beginning, and expounded it by order unto them, saying, 5 I was in the city of Joppa praying: and in a trance I saw a vision, A certain vessel descend, as it had been a great sheet, let down from heaven by four corners; and it came even to me: 6 Upon the which when I had fastened mine eyes, I considered, and saw fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air. 7 And I heard a voice saying unto me, Arise, Peter; slay and eat. 8 But I said, Not so, Lord: for nothing common or unclean hath at any time entered into my mouth. 9 But the voice answered me again from heaven, What God hath cleansed, that call not thou common.

Remember that the New Testament is after the spirit that sometimes mirrors with the physical. So in his letter to the Galatians, Paul says he realized that he is given the apostleship of uncircumcision. Firstly the meaning is spiritual. Paul realizes that to fully serve the church, he is not to marry. Same as Titus and implicitly Barnabas. James, Cephas and John, who opted to marry, they understood the devotion of Paul and Barnabas so they agree with them having the leadership.
Matthew 6
24 No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon.
With regards to circumcision in the physical, in Galatians 2:3 above, the disciples were not compelled to be circumcised. They choose to be circumcised for health reasons and also because of the growth spurt it brings. Better ask the doctors.

In the case of Peter, he also opted to marry so when given the leadership, Peter was probably still single or he has disciples helping him to lead the church.

James 2
14 What does it profit, my brethren, if someone says he has faith but does not have works? Can faith save him? 15 If a brother or sister is naked and destitute of daily food, 16 and one of you says to them, “Depart in peace, be warmed and filled,” but you do not give them the things which are needed for the body, what does it profit? 17 Thus also faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead. 18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your[a] works, and I will show you my faith by my works.
The works of James shows that he has faith while others have faith without works. The works of the Apostles is that they have legwork. Spiritual work and physical work okay? So they preached at the church for spiritual goods and helped people physically in humanitarian works.

So in order to maintain celibacy, some of these early christians have alternative lifestyle. They have physical activities like fasting to be stronger, watching sports and entertainment for amusement, having hobbies and pets, traveling, studying literature, helping in humanitarian work and so on.










to be continued
  

No comments:

Post a Comment